National Headlines
Subscribe To This Feed

Carroll County Sheriff's Office(CARROLLTON, Ohio) -- The body of a missing boy from rural Ohio was found buried in a shallow grave on a farm Friday morning, bringing a sad end to a desperate search for the 14-year-old who disappeared on April 13.

Jonathon Minard was found dead, buried in the grave on a farm in Washington Township just after 10 a.m., according to the Carroll County Sheriff's Office. The body was found not far from where the boy went missing a week earlier in Carrollton, Ohio.

An autopsy will be performed by the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner, with results not expected for a few weeks.

Authorities announced on Wednesday, two days before the discovery of the body, that they were questioning a person of interest in the case and said they were refusing to take a polygraph test. Carroll County Sheriff Dale Williams would not answer Friday whether the person was still in custody or still considered a person of interest.

No one has been arrested in the teen's death and the investigation is ongoing, the sheriff's office said.

"Jonathon’s discovery is just the first step in gathering evidence to answer many unanswered questions that we have that have led us to this moment," Carroll County Prosecuting Attorney Steve Barnett told Cleveland ABC affiliate WEWS. "Investigations like this take time, and this case is no exception."

Minard had been doing work on a farm in New Harrisburg, Ohio, on Friday before being taken to a family friend's home in Carrollton. He spent the night there, authorities said, before he complained of a toothache, was left alone at the residence and had disappeared when the family friend returned.

The boy wasn't reported missing until April 14, the sheriff said.

Family and friends spent Tuesday combing the area, a rural region about an hour south of Akron, for signs of the missing boy, but nothing turned up.

"I have met with the family and as you might imagine this is an unimaginable grief -- epic levels that can't be put into words," Mandal Haas, the Carroll County coroner, said at a Friday press conference.

Even prior to the discovery of the teen's body, Minard's aunt, Jo Hepner, said his parents were "devastated."

"His mom is ready to have a breakdown, his dad is too and they feel helpless because they can't do anything," Hepner told WEWS.

Authorities would provide few details at a press conference Friday, preferring to wait until after the investigation was complete.

"The Carroll County Sheriff’s Office will continue to gather evidence until the investigation is complete," it said in a statement. "We ask that the public and media respect the Minard family’s space and privacy at this time."

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(DEPLHI, Indiana) -- One of the nation's most recent infamous unsolved murder investigations is heading in a "new direction."

Indiana State Police said in a statement Friday that new information in their inquest into the murder of two teenage girls in Delphi, Indiana, in February 2017 will be shared at a press conference on Monday.

The update will be held "to share information with the media and public about the new direction of the Delphi homicide investigation."

Police shared no further information into what the new evidence might be, or why they were changing directions in the investigation.

Friends Abigail Williams, 13, and Liberty German, 14, both middle schoolers, vanished on a hiking trail near Delphi on Feb. 13, 2017. Their bodies were found one day later about a mile from where they were last known to be on the trail.

Authorities have not released information about how the girls died.

The murders have also been called the "Snapchat murders" -- named as such due to a photo shared by German of Williams walking on an old railroad bridge during their hike on the day they disappeared.

"We're all frustrated," Abby's mother, Anna Williams, told ABC News in February, just before the second anniversary of the children's deaths. "It might still feel like we're in the same place, but I think of how many tips we've gone through, how many are still out there, still coming in, and I still have hope that we are on the right track."

Authorities released a grainy photo of a man they believe could be a suspect in the girls' killings and an audio recording found on Libby's phone with a man saying "down the hill" in the days following the murders. Police later released a composite sketch of the man they believe to be in the photo.

No definitive match for the suspect has ever been found, despite thousands of tips and over $200,000 in reward money being offered.

Just before the one-year anniversary of the teens' murders, a sheriff's office in Bledsoe County, Tennessee, wrote on Facebook that the "FBI has extended the search" for Abby and Libby's killer or killers into southeastern Tennessee. The report was almost immediately shot down by the Indiana State Police, saying the search was still "nation wide." Bledsoe County authorities blamed the post on a "misunderstanding."

Police arrested an Indiana man in September 2017 that authorities initially said could be related to the Delphi killings. Daniel Nations, 31, was taken into custody in Colorado after threatening people near a hiking trail with a hatchet, police said.

Indiana State Police nonetheless downplayed the arrest at the time, simply saying they were treating it like any other possible tip. In a press conference on the one-year anniversary of the killings, state police conceded, despite their interviewing Nations, he was not someone "they care a whole lot about" in relation to the crime.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

WFTS(TAMPA, Fla.) -- A pair of 14-year-old Florida middle school girls are facing felony charges for conspiracy to commit kidnapping and murder after being arrested this week in what authorities described as a plot to kidnap and kill 9 people.

Court records reviewed by ABC News Tampa affiliate WFTS indicate that a teacher told police she observed the girls acting “hysterical” while searching for a folder at school, and heard one say that “I’m just going to tell them it’s a prank if they call me or if they find it.”

ABC News is withholding the identity of the girls due to their age.

The teacher located the folder, which allegedly contained eight handwritten notes detailing the kidnapping and murder plot, and notified authorities, according to WFTS. The letters outlined plans to obtain guns and discussed the transportation and disposal of bodies. One contained plans about what the two youngsters would wear during the kidnappings and murders.

The folder was labeled “Private info,” “Do not open” and “Project 11/9,” according to the TV station.

The teenagers were taken into custody and each face nine counts of criminal attempt to conspire capital felony (premeditated homicide), and three counts of criminal attempt to conspire third-degree felony (kidnapping), WFTS reported.

Officials said they are treating the plot seriously.

"It doesn’t matter if they thought it was a joke,” Highlands County Sheriff's Office (HCSO) spokesman Scott Dressel told WFTS. “It's not a joke. There's no joking about something like this. You don’t make a joke about killing people. It's not a joke.”

Highlands County Schools Deputy Superintendent Andrew Lethbridge said in a statement to WFTS that the school’s safety protocols were effective.

“We would like to remind students (and everyone) that we are all held accountable for the information that we communicate,” he said in the statement.

“The [district] takes threats very seriously and we work closely with the HCSO to investigate them. We have stressed the concept that if staff or students hear or see something that concerns them, to please share that information with someone that can do something about it. In this situation, we witnessed this concept in action. This enables us to be proactive and respond to situations prior to an incident taking place."

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/xijian(NEW YORK) --  A social media influencer from Iowa is facing 20 years in prison for planning a violent home invasion to hijack an internet domain name for his company.

Rossi Lorathio Adams II, 26, was convicted of conspiracy to interfere with commerce by force, threats and violence on Thursday, according to a statement released by the U.S. Attorney's Office Northern District of Iowa.

According to the statement, Adams founded the social media company “State Snaps” and at one point had more than a million followers on his social media sites. These sites mostly contained images and videos of young adults engaged in crude behavior, drunkenness and nudity. Adams’ followers often used the slogan: “Do It For State!”

When Adams tried to purchase an internet domain named after the slogan — "" — he discovered that it belonged to a Cedar Rapids resident who had registered it on, the statement said. When the owner rejected Adams repeated offers to buy the domain between 2015 and 2017, Adams became aggressive, in one instance threatening one of the domain owner’s friends with “gun emojis” after the friend used the domain to promote concerts, according to the statement.

When that didn’t convince the domain owner to sell the website, Adams enlisted his cousin, Sherman Hopkins, Jr., to help. On June 21, 2017, Adams and Hopkins drove to the domain owner's home. Adams then gave his cousin a note containing instructions for the domain owner to transfer the domain name to Adams' GoDaddy account, the statement said. Hopkins, a convicted felon who lived in a homeless shelter at the time, then broke into the home and forced the domain owner at gunpoint to transfer ownership of the domain to Adams.

Hopkins then pistol whipped the victim in the head multiple times, according to the statement. The victim managed to gain control of the gun, but during the struggle, he was shot in the leg. The victim shot Hopkins multiple times in the chest before calling the police, the statement said.

Hopkins was sentenced to 20 years imprisonment in June 2018.

Adams was taken into custody by the United States Marshal after the verdict was returned and will remain in custody pending sentencing. In addition to a possible 20 years in prison, Adams faces a $250,000 fine and three years of supervised release following any imprisonment.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Fedorovekb(CAMDEN, N.J.) --  Police in Camden, New Jersey, have released new body camera video from a dramatic rescue of passengers inside two burning cars on the interstate.

Just moments after the 2:30 a.m. April 7 accident on I-676, four police officers are seen struggling to rescue two drivers and two passengers trapped inside.

"Come here. Give me your hand!" an officer is heard shouting in the video.

The car and SUV were quickly engulfed in flames. Officer Vincent Russomano even caught fire himself.

Those officers were honored by Camden police for their heroism by being named “Officers of the Week.”

Officer Joseph Mair was first on the scene, after hearing the call while on patrol nearby. He was joined by Russomano and Officers Vaughn Edwards and Brian McCline.

Four good Samaritans helped in the blaze. All four passengers were saved, though two victims were badly burned.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/aijohn784(WOODVILLE, Fla.) -- An 8-year-old girl in Florida was killed after a morning storm caused a tree to crash through her house, fatally injuring her and another child in the home, police said.

Officers responded to a 911 call from the home just after 8 a.m. Friday, the Leon County Sheriff's Office said in a statement.

A storm, which had struck the area Friday morning, caused the tree to go through the Woodville home where the 8-year-old and a 12-year-old boy were inside.

Both children were transported to the hospital with injuries, police said.

The 8-year-old was pronounced dead at the hospital, according to officials.

The 12-year-old, who is now with family members, suffered non-life threatening injuries, police said.

The deceased child's identity has not been released.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

BanksPhotos/iStock(MINNEAPOLIS) -- The family of a 5-year-old boy who was thrown from the third-floor balcony at the Mall of America released a hopeful update on Friday, saying that despite "a long road ahead," the boy is "showing real signs of recovery."

"We have good news to share with you on this Good Friday," the family said in a statement. "Our miracle child is showing real signs of recovery. New test results have been positive, though he remains in intensive care with a long road ahead. Our faith in God and our savior Jesus is strong, and we are gaining more reason for optimism day by day. We continue to appeal for privacy as we focus on our son, and thank you for respecting our wishes. Just know that we absolutely feel your overwhelming love, prayers and support, for they seem to be working. Thank you so much from the bottom of our hearts."

The incident occurred on Friday, April 12, when Emmanuel Aranda, 24, grabbed the child and tossed him down nearly 40 feet, leaving the boy with life-threatening injuries, including multiple broken bones and severe head trauma, according to charging documents.

Aranda ran away from the scene, but police apprehended him at a nearby light rail station in Bloomington, about 10 miles south of Minneapolis. Officers said he appeared "calm" as he was arrested and never questioned why he was taken into custody.

Aranda told investigators he was "looking for someone to kill, but it did not 'work out,'" according to a probable cause document released Monday. He said he came up with a plan to "kill someone at the mall" on Thursday and indicated that he was angry because women at the mall had rejected him.

"He said he planned to kill an adult, because they usually stand near the balcony, but he chose the victim instead," the document said. "[He] indicated he had been coming to the mall for several years and had made efforts to talk to women in the mall, but had been rejected, and the rejection caused him to lash out and be aggressive."

 Investigators said he repeatedly acknowledged he'd come to the mall with intentions to kill and signaled that he was "aware that what he was doing was wrong," according to the charging documents.

Aranda was previously banned from the mall for throwing water in a woman's face and destroying property. Police said he also had a warrant for his arrest in Illinois on assault charges.

Police said surveillance video from the scene showed Aranda entering the third floor of the mall and looking over the balcony several times before he approached the 5-year-old victim and his mother.

The victim's mother said she noticed the suspect getting "very close to them" and asked if she and her son should move, the documents said. Aranda remained silent as he lifted the boy up over the balcony, "without warning," and threw him down to the first floor, according to the charging documents.

Aranda didn't appear to know the victim, said police.

Aranda was being held on felony charges of premeditated murder, which carries a maximum sentence of life in prison.

Aranda made a brief court appearance on Tuesday where bail was set at $2 million. His next court appearance was set for May 14.

The 5-year-old was described on a crowdfunding page as a "full of energy" child who enjoys playing hockey with his brother and sister.

A statement from the Mall of America last week said, "This was a senseless act and words cannot truly express our profound shock and sadness. Our immediate and only concern is for the well being of the family and the child, as well as for any individuals who may have witnessed the incident."

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Salwan Georges/The Washington Post via Getty Images(PITTSBURGH) -- As the Jewish holiday of Passover begins Friday night, families and friends will gather at Seder -- an orderly, annual dinner where they eat, drink, sing and re-tell the story of the enslaved Jews' escape from Egypt.

For 12 years, Marnie Fienberg hosted her family's Seder with her mother-in-law, Joyce Fienberg.

But that tradition has ended.

Joyce Fienberg, a 75-year-old grandmother of six and former researcher at the University of Pittsburgh, was among the 11 worshipers shot dead at Pittsburgh's Tree of Life synagogue on Oct. 27, 2018.

"My mother-in-law was one of the kindest humans I've ever met," Marnie Fienberg told ABC News in October. "If you knew her for five minutes, if you knew her for 20 years, you felt exactly the same way."

 The Anti-Defamation League has called the Pittsburgh synagogue massacre the worst anti-Semitic attack in U.S. history.

In the wake of her grief, Marnie Fienberg was desperate to put her energy into a positive, grassroots way to fight anti-Semitism in her mother-in-law's honor.

And Friday night, her plans will come to fruition.

Marnie Fienberg founded "2 for Seder," an initiative that encourages Jews to invite two non-Jewish friends to a Seder dinner.

Now 910 Seders across North America are set to participate this weekend, she told ABC News on Friday.

"Whenever I go to someone's house or I go into a new situation, it's always nicest when I bring a friend or I bring my spouse," she said of the "plus-one"-style invite. "You're going to be coming into a family situation and I want the guests to be as comfortable as possible."

Marnie Fienberg on her website calls "2 for Seder" a "small step toward fighting anti-Semitism by addressing the 'mystery' of being Jewish, the 'Other' in a society filled with many wonderful and diverse cultures from across the world."

"I want to make sure in this country we have a positive dialogue going on about the different religions, the different races, the different lifestyles that we have," she said.

Anti-Semitic threats and acts had been on a decline in the U.S. until three or four years ago, according to John Cohen, a former acting undersecretary at the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and current ABC News contributor.

Of the 1,749 victims of anti-religious hate crimes in 2017, 58.1 percent were victims of crimes motivated by the perpetrators' anti-Jewish bias, according to statistics from the FBI.

 An open and welcoming Seder initiative couldn't be more fitting as a way to honor the woman who was just as meticulous a host as she was a researcher, said Marnie Fienberg.

"If you were coming to her home [Joyce] would do anything to make you feel completely and utterly comfortable," Marnie Fienberg said. "That didn't matter if it was an allergy you had, or if you had a religious restriction, or if you were coming from another culture... she would research it, make sure she was making you comfortable...and she made it all look effortless, even though she would spend hours and hours and hours prepping."

After Passover ends, Marnie Fienberg said she plans to invest her time in other grassroots initiatives.

"We just have such a positive response. And I think there's a lot of energy out here and people want to put that positive dialogue out into the discussion, and I want to help facilitate that," she said. "So this is, I hope, just the beginning."

As for Fienberg's Seder this weekend, she said, "Joyce's presence will absolutely be with us."

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Tunatura(NEW YORK) -- The origins of the so-called pot holiday "420" are — fittingly — fuzzy.

Some people will say that the holiday's name traces back to a police code. Others, meanwhile, believe that something happened on April 20 many years ago. The near-universal consensus, however, is that "420" is a reference to the time of day.

Weed lore dictates that in the early 1970s, a group of teens attending San Rafael High School, about 19 miles north of San Francisco, would as a code word of sorts to indicate a smoke session after school.

The group of teens, who reportedly dubbed themselves "the Waldos," would whisper "420 Louis" to one another in the halls as a way to spread word that they'd be meeting at 4:20 p.m. near the school's statue of Louis Pasteur.

"Back then, we spent every day of our lives worrying about getting busted. Going to buy was a really secret thing," Waldo member Steve Capper told The San Francisco Chronicle.

While it started as something of an inside joke, "420" has stuck. It is still used to this day as a code among people who are marijuana friendly.

Dan Skye, a longtime editor at High Times magazine, told ABC News in 2011 that while the number's relationship to marijuana began in San Rafael, it's gone well past that.

"It's basically just a celebration of cannabis. It's mushroomed into our unofficial national holiday," Skye said at the time.

Now that marijuana has been legalized in a number of states and decriminalized in many others, the secretive — and sometimes paranoid — allure of a huddled smoke may be fading. According to a 2018 Gallup poll, 66% of Americans now support marijuana legalization, an increase from 60% in 2016 and 31% in 2000.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

WPLG-TV(DORAL, Fla.) --  One Florida contractor might be in need of a little more E-D-U-C-A-T-I-O-N.

A motorist in Doral spotted a spelling error at a crosswalk Thursday and took a photo.

The word "SCHOOL" was spelled "SCOHOL."

When the city officials were notified of the error, they took quick action.

"This SCHOOL zone striping was handled by the developer's contractor. They have been notified and are working expeditiously to correct. Thank you to all who brought this very important matter to our attention," the city posted on its Twitter page.

The error was fixed on Thursday night, according to ABC affiliate WPLG-TV.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Gofundme(WALTERBORO, S.C.) -- A pathologist's review of fifth grader Raniya Wright’s death revealed that she had a rare birth defect that caused her death, rather than the fight that she was involved in minutes before she became unresponsive, officials announced on Friday. Her mother and attorney still question the role of teachers and the girl involved in the fight.

South Carolina solicitor Duffy Stone said that charges will not be filed because a forensic pathologist has determined that Wright had arteriovenous malformation (AVM), where arteries and veins are intertwined rather than separated and occasionally rupture. Raniya had this condition since birth, the report showed.

Stone said that AVM sometimes results in pressure, “the manifestation of these being headaches was something that was in Raniya Wright’s history…Thirteen days prior to this event, she was taken to the doctor … complaining of headaches.” Stone noted that Raniya had a history of going to the doctor complaining of headaches seven times in the past two years.

He stressed that the pathologist’s report showed that even though Raniya had a fight in school minutes before she became unresponsive, there was “no evidence of trauma either inside the body or outside the body … to indicate a fight of any magnitude contributed to this.” Stone said that is why he won’t file charges.

 “According to the pathologist, these hemorrhages can take place at just about any time. …[The fight] did not have anything to do with the rupture,” Stone said. “It was a matter of time, unfortunately, that this would rupture,” Stone added that this condition can be in any part of a diagnosed person's body, but “in this case it was in her brain.”

Sheriff Andy Strickland said that all of the students in the class were interviewed, including Raniya, who spoke to officials before complaining about a headache and then being transported to the nurse’s office, where she later became unresponsive. “Neither student [involved in the fight] showed any physical signs of injury” and after the fight, it was “approximately 10 minutes later that Raniya advised ... that she had a headache," Strickland said, noting that she was then moved to the nurse's station.

Another official said that when she was taken to the nurse’s office, Raniya vomited, the nurse took her vitals, she vomited again and “that’s when she became unresponsive.”

Raniya died on March 27.

That official said that the investigation suggests that "bullying did not play a part in that incident," but Raniya's mother, Ashley Wright, said at a news conference on Friday that her daughter had a history of the other girl teasing and verbally attacking her for years.

"It was the same girl," Ashley Wright said. The mom said she had spoken to school officials multiple times since her daughter was in third grade about the ongoing issues with the other student.

"My child was never [in] trouble. My child wouldn't lift a finger to no one," she said.

"What's going to be done about it? Whose child is going to be next with this same girl?" Ashley Wright said, adding that "something has to be done" about the alleged bully and "she has to get help."

Margie Pizarro, the attorney representing Ashley Wright, said that these are just “initial” findings and argued that Raniya and the other girl (who she referred to as “Student 2”) had an escalating conflict over the course of that fateful day. Pizarro charged that teachers didn’t intervene, instead, leaving Raniya’s concerned friend to take steps to protect her.

“This is not right. Students should not be left to defending other students. Where is the accountability for Colleton County?” Pizarro said, citing their own investigation.

"Student 2" reportedly confronted Raniya on the playground on the morning of March 25, and later in the day in the cafeteria line before getting into, what Pizarro described as, a brawl in the classroom, where the substitute teacher did not intervene until it was well underway. Pizarro said that "Student 2" put Raniya “in a headlock, used her free hand to punch Raniya over and over.”

The Wright's lawyer said that while they are accepting the pathologist’s report at face value for now, they will be looking to see if there is science that suggests that such a physical altercation could trigger a reaction in someone with her medical condition, which Pizarro said Ashley Wright did not know about until after her daughter’s death.

Pizarro warned that "Student 2" allegedly has a violent history and was boasting about her fighting abilities even in the wake of Raniya’s funeral on April 3.

“It is our hope that something is done before the next student dies,” Pizarro said.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

KABC-TV(RIVERSIDE, Calif.) --  A son and daughter of David and Louise Turpin spoke out in court for the first time Friday as their parents were sentenced for torturing and imprisoning them for years.

"Now I'm taking my life back," a daughter -- one of the Turpins' 13 children -- said in court. "I'm a fighter. I'm strong and I'm shooting through life like a rocket."

"I'm in college now and living independently," she said. "I love hanging out with my friends and life is great. I believe everything happens for a reason. Life may have been bad, but it made me strong. I fought to become the person I am."

"I saw my dad change my mom," she said, visibly shaking and clutching tissues. "They almost changed me."

 The Turpins abused 12 of their 13 children, including in some cases shackling them and beating them routinely, prosecutors said. They pleaded guilty in February to charges including torture and false imprisonment.

David and Louise Turpin were sentenced Friday to 25 years to life.

A Turpin son said in court Friday, "I cannot describe in words what we went through growing up. Sometimes I still have nightmares of things that had happened, such as my siblings being chained up or getting beaten. But that is the past and this is now."

"I love my parents and have forgiven them for a lot of the things that they did to us," he said. "I have learned so much and become very independent."

He said he learned how to ride a bike, and since then he rides everywhere.

"I live in an apartment and go to a nearby college. I am getting a bachelor's degree in software engineering, and after I get my bachelor's degree I'm going to get a job as a software engineer and go to school part-time to get my master's degree."

That son also read a statement in court on behalf of one of his sisters: "I love both of my parents so much. Although it may not have been the best way of raising us, I'm glad that they did, because it made me the person I am today. I just want to thank them for teaching me about God and faith. I hope they never lose their faith."

Louise Turpin's lip quivered and both parents wiped tears from their eyes as the statement was read.

"I pray often for them," that daughter's statement continued. "I am doing well. I'm going to college full time. I have an apartment ... we are not supposed to necessarily understand God's will. But we are only to follow and to trust in him."

A lawyer read a statement on behalf of another daughter who asked the court to remove the restraining order so she could visit her parents.

"I want the court to know our parents loved each other and loved each of their children," the statement said. "I remember our mother sitting in her recliner saying she 'don't know what to do.' She didn’t want to use rope or chain, but was afraid her children were taking in too much sugar and caffeine. "

David Turpin said in a statement to the judge on Friday: "I never intended for any harm to come to my children. I'm sorry if I've done anything to cause them harm... I love my children and believe my children love me. ...I hope the very best for my children in the future."

Louise Turpin said in court, "I'm sorry for everything I've done to hurt my children. I love my children so much... I look forward to the day I can see them, hug them, and tell them I'm sorry."

The couple was arrested in January 2018, after their 17-year-old daughter escaped their Perris, California, home and called 911.

The never-before-heard 911 call exclusively obtained this week by ABC News reveals that moment she turned her parents in.

"My parents are abusive," the 17-year-old told the dispatcher. "My two little sisters right now are chained up right now... they're chained up to their bed."

The 17-year-old alleged that she and her siblings would be chained up for one or two months and only freed to brush their teeth or use the bathroom, an officer who interviewed the teen testified.

The teen said she and her siblings never ate breakfast and would only eat peanut butter, bologna, a frozen burrito or chips for lunch and dinner, the officer testified.

When rescued, all the children except for the youngest, a toddler, were severely malnourished, prosecutors said. The eldest victim — a 29-year-old woman — weighed only 82 pounds.

The 17-year-old Turpin daughter told the dispatcher that she and her siblings lived in filth and that she hadn't bathed in nearly one year.

"Sometimes I wake up and I can't breathe because because how dirty the house is," she said.

The teen said she hadn't been to a doctor in five years and had never been to a dentist in her life.

The adult Turpin children are now healthy, their lawyer, Jack Osborn, told reporters Friday.

"All of them are doing really well physically," Osborn said. "That's a miracle."

"They want to be normal adults -- going to Target, going to baseball games," he said. "We are confident -- given what they've been through and how resilient that they are -- that they're going to be really successful."

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Edd Sorenson/Cave Adventurers(NEW YORK) -- Exclusive video obtained by ABC News goes inside a murky, underwater cave in Tennessee during the daring rescue of a highly trained British diver who went missing while exploring.

Josh Bratchley, a member of the elite international team that helped save 12 boys and their soccer coach from a flooded cave in Thailand last summer, was rescued from the cave near Nashville on Wednesday night after disappearing on Tuesday.

The rescue video was filmed from the helmet of Ed Sorenson, a technical cave diver from Florida who located Bratchley and helped save him.

About 45 minutes into Sorenson's search, the video shows Bratchley, covered in mud, sitting on a ledge in the cave's air pocket awaiting rescue.

The video later shows the moment Sorenson surfaced with Bratchley.

"Thank you for still being here and calm," Sorenson told him.

Bratchley was evaluated by medical crews on the scene and determined to be in stable condition.

Sorenson said it was "very difficult" to find the British diver because conditions inside the cave were dangerous, and Bratchley's guideline to the surface had been broken.

"Rescues are very, very rare," Sorenson said on ABC's Good Morning America, "so any time I can bring somebody home back to their family and not in a bag, it's a great day."

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- A major storm is moving east, leaving in its wake at least 18 tornadoes and more than 300 damaging storm reports over two days in five states, as the East Coast braces for severe weather.

Nine of those tornadoes, reported Thursday, were in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri, as parts of Arkansas saw half a foot of rain and flash flooding. A tornado watch in the region is in effect until 8 a.m. Central time Friday.

Severe storms are likely Friday from Pennsylvania to Florida, with the harshest weather visiting Virginia and the Carolinas. Wind gusts in excess of 70 mph are possible, as are tornadoes and flash flooding.

Farther north, the same system will deliver heavy rain from Virginia to Maine, which could see more than 3 inches in some areas. Flood watches have been issued in 11 states so far.

Washington, Philadelphia and New York City could see significant rain and potential flooding. Parts of Atlanta were without power around 6:30 a.m. Eastern time.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Hamilton County Sheriff(CLEVELAND) -- Authorities indicted an Ohio man on fresh charges Thursday for allegedly impersonating Timmothy Pitzen, a boy who vanished in 2011 at the age of 6.

A federal grand jury indicted Brian Michael Rini, 23, on two counts of making false statements and one count of aggravated identity theft after DNA determined that he was not 14-year-old Pitzen.

Rini told investigators in Kentucky that he ran across an Ohio bridge to escape kidnappers who sexualy abused him. DNA testing established he was actually a convicted felon just released from prison.

He eventually confessed, telling investigators that he came up with the ruse to get away from his family.

FBI officials said Rini had portrayed himself as a child sex-trafficking victim on two prior occasions. In those instances, he was only identified once he was fingerprinted, according to the Department of Justice.

"Once law enforcement officers confronted Rini about his true identity, Rini immediately stated he was not Timmothy Pitzen," the Department of Justice said in a statement Thursday. "He allegedly said he watched a story about Timmothy on '20/20' and stated he wanted to get away from his only family. When questioned further, it is alleged that Rini stated 'he wished he had a father like Timmothy’s.'"

Pitzen vanished from Aurora, Illinois, after his mother, Amy Fry-Pitzen, took him out of school early in May 2011. She was found dead of an apparent suicide in an Illinois hotel a few days later.

Police said his mother left several notes behind, saying Pitzen was with people who loved him -- but he was never found.

Pitzen's maternal grandmother, Alana Anderson, said her family was devastated after learning about Rini's real identity.

"It's been awful. We've been on tenterhooks," Anderson said to reporters, adding that the family has been "alternatively hopeful and frightened." "My prayer has always been that when he is old enough, he would find us if we couldn't find him."

Rini was previously charged with one count of making false statements, but Wednesday's indictment included an additional count of making false statements and a new charge of aggravated identity theft. A federal magistrate ordered for him to be detained pending trial.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Local News

News Headlines for Sat., Apr. 20, 2019

City man arrested following violent, bloody, domestic incident Friday morning... A Jamestown man has been arrested following an alleged, bloodly domestic incident very early Friday morning.  Cit...

Read More

Join Us Online